Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Knit one… Drop one… Ooops

Most Sundays I head to the local markets to help Mum with her jewellery booth. Here in Australia we are in the middle of Winter and although it’s not as cold in the CQ area of Queensland (that’s my opinion anyway) it does get a bit nippley. Well last Sunday was no exception with most people rugged up in multiple jumpers and jackets, beanies and scarves and complaining how cold it is. It had also been raining that weekend as well. I must of been one of the crazy ones wearing just jeans and a flannelette shirt.

Anyways I’ve never been a fan of following fashions as I’m more of a fashion dont-sta than a fashion-ista, but I found myself checking out the knitted scarves that many of the ladies were wearing and thought ‘why not’?

Remembering that I had bought 4 balls of wool from the markets just because I liked the colours, I headed off to Spotlight on my way to picking the Codeman up from work, and bought myself a pair of size 8 knitting needles.

I wanted one that was very long and maybe have fringing on the ends like this one

and it had to have a soft, loose knit similar to this
After spending about a hour looking a YouTube vids on how to ‘cast on’ and ‘knit’, I proceeded to make my first scarf.

The first attempt was too wide and I somehow kept adding extra loops… ooops, so I started over.

Second attempt is being modelled on this display mannequin that I got from the resale area of the dump. I only used the knit stitch which is called a Garter stitch….. I think.

100_2357

100_2355
Because I wanted it to be long, I had to forgo the fringing but I still love it!!!
I remember trying to knit when I was a lot younger but for some reason never actually finished it, so I am very proud of this scarf. And what about those colours???? It’s actually got more green in it which isn’t showing in the pics with purple and black.
Hmmm now what can I make next??? Maybe some cushion covers so I can learn how to do the Perl  or cable stitch perhaps?
Maybe even something like this.






Oh and I bought something else in addition to the knitting needles but that is for a future post. I’ll give you a hint. It has something to do with the Kitchen Hutch.

Thanks for stopping bySmile

Jenni

Today I am linking up to the following fabulous parties:

Funky Junk Interiors' SNS 141

Cherished Handmade Treasures: Creative Corner Hop #18

Natasha In OZ

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for shareing ur many talents ur a talented woman great work

    ReplyDelete